Last week we spent the week in one of my most favorite places on Earth, Walt Disney World! I absolutely love being there as it gives me a real nostalgic feeling of childhood plus rekindles the fun memories of going to grad night with friends and then chaperoning a few years in a row after my own grad night. And then there's the memories of the absolutely hilarious trip that my best friend and I took for our college graduation. This time around was the second time we have taken our kids which brings in a whole new kind of magic, kind of like seeing Christmas through your child's eyes. My kids are just as Disney crazy as I am and love all the little things about Disney like the pins, hidden Mickey's, and that funky smell of Pirates of the Caribbean. Even with all the faith, trust, and pixie dust, this trip had some hiccups but it's still safe to say we had a great time and cannot wait to return.
I know many of you who read my blog are quite curious about how the newer disability system (DAS-Disability Access Services) worked. I promise I will get to that. First I want to focus this post and upcoming posts on our schedule and impressions of the resorts and parks that we visited on this particular trip.
| Housekeeping displayed her dress in our room window so everyone would know Belle was staying there ;) |
Trying to navigate what the best deal for your family can get confusing so I suggest using an authorized Disney travel agent like Mickey's Travel By LeaAnne (visit her Facebook page here ) to help you along the way.
Lodging: Pop Century Resort
This was actually the first time I had ever stayed at a Value Resort on property. I have always been slightly turned off of them for a few reasons:
- The theming is loud and therefore does not look like it would be a relaxing atmosphere.
- The distance from the parks seemed like we would be in for a long crowded bus ride.
- Rumors that the value resorts are loud and chaotic.
What has always appealed to me however is the pricing. It really just makes more sense financially for us to stay at a value. Trying to keep this vacation as cheap as possible, we decided to take our chances and stay at Pop Century during Disney's free dining promo. I knew that my kids would love the "loud" theme with the over sized Disney themed statues, etc... and since this trip was more for them than us, why not?! We were also extremely curious about the Art of Animation Resort (AOA) and since it was a short walk away, we figured that by staying at Pop then we would have a chance to sneak a peek at AOA for future trips. I'll talk more about my impressions of AOA later on in another post.
The Rooms:
When we pulled up at Pop, it was much brighter and tasteful than I had expected. Sure it wasn't as gorgeous as Port Orleans resorts or as posh as the Contemporary but it had an element of fun and was certainly more unique than even some of the other pricier resorts. We had requested and really hoped to be in the '80s buildings which were themed on the outside with giant Pac-Mans and Rubik's Cubes, but instead we were sent to the far end of the '50s and on the 4th floor. Staying in the '50s actually ended up working out in our favor. It turned out to be the perfect spot to watch the Frozen fireworks! Plus, I was happy for that 4th floor location after I saw a snake lounging by the pool one evening. Truthfully, I didn't find the rooms a ton smaller than those at some of the moderates I have stayed in. I wouldn't recommend it for a family of 4 or more who have older kids but with two young kids, it was just right. The decor was minimal but in my mind, that wasn't a big deal. Had I not stayed in a Royal Guest Room at Riverside on my previous visit, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the lack of decor.
Food Court:
We didn't actually eat in the food court here. I took a quick glance at it and it didn't appear all that different from the other resort food courts. One thing I did notice and like was that it had a dark ceiling which gave it a cozy feel. On the downside, the few times we went to refill mugs in the food court area, the ice machine was nearly empty or completely empty. That's just frustrating.
The Bus Stop:
We had heard that the walk to the buses could be lengthy depending on what building you stayed in at Pop. I didn't think we could be much further back in the resort than we were but I didn't find the walk to the bus stop all that bad. We found the best way from our building in the '50s was to cut through the pool area and go through the back entrance of the Classic Hall. If you strongly dislike cigarette smoke, this is your warning that the smoking area is situated between two buildings almost right in the middle of the paths. It's kind of un-avoidable if you take this route.
Crowd Level:
This certainly took me by surprise.I can remember going to the parks in 2004 during the end of the first week and into the 2nd week of May. The crowd level could not have been more than a 1. It was so dead that I honestly worried that Disney wasn't making enough money. It was downright glorious! No lines! Open bus seats! No people! Just my best friend and I and nearly a whole park to ourselves. People kept saying on forums that September is the downtime and best time to go. In my mind, I assumed that it would be just like that time I went in May of 2004. Well, it wasn't anything like that. Not even close. This was a HUGE letdown for me as my idea of a low crowd at Disney is clearly different from the majority since I have experienced an extremely low crowd level. We found the crowd levels to be more in the 5 range. I know, I know....that isn't awful. I HAVE been there numerous times during the crowded season, including our 2013 trip during spring break which had several level 10 days complete with park closures. It's just if you say it's a down time, I'm going to compare it to the down time I've experienced. A crowd level of 4 or 5 would be okay for a typical family. For a child with Autism who struggles with crowds, a crowd level of 4 or 5 is not all that different than some of those higher levels.
The crowd level certainly affected the buses from Pop Century. Nearly every bus filled to capacity and had people standing. What really got me was the amount of adults, especially men, who didn't offer to give up their seat to small children or elderly people. I realize that some of those adults may have needed to sit for one reason or another but I also have a feeling a few of those people were being downright selfish and thinking they were entitled to those seats. If you have healthy older children, please teach them a lesson by showing them how to offer a seat to someone who may really need it. A small child should not have to stand up on a bus! In my previous Disney trips, I have not encountered such a large amount of rude people as I did on the buses to and from our resort. Those who did go out of their way to help my husband get the stroller of the bus or offer my kids a seat are most certainly remembered and appreciated.
The housekeeping was beyond great. Each day we would come back to our room to find a folded towel creature or the kids belongings moved around. My kids really enjoyed going back to see what kind of shenanigans the maid had been up to that day. Our bathtub faucet was loose but I see that more as a maintenance issue and not housekeeping.
Overall the Pop Century was just okay. It's not that Disney didn't do their part and make a great resort at a decent price because they did. It's actually that he rude and somewhat scruffy around the edges crowd that brought the overall experience down for us. I would love to revisit Pop when it truly isn't as crowded, if there ever is such a time. Even though I love free dining, I can't help but wonder if it played a part in our experience. I would actually pay for the dining plan if it meant a change in the crowds.

Unfortunately with POP, most of the time it will be crowded. It is a VERY popular resort due to the pricing and the fact it is the newer one out of the values (not counting AoA, which is still priced a bit between Value and Moderate due to being brand new). September is technicially "low" crowds, but it really can vary from week to week through Sept and Oct. When I worked at WDW, I would go into the parks one day and it would be "empty" (for Disney anyway), and the next day it would be totally packed by low crowd standards.
ReplyDeleteRunning into rude people is the worst, but unfortunately Disney can't control that. Oh how I wish they could. I went for a week long vacation when I was pregnant with my first. I was very ill, but couldn't cancel the trip (family trip, already paid for). I was obviously ill and obviously pregnant and all week, maybe a handful of people gave up seats on buses and boats for me. I was shocked. O_O