I think many people would agree with me when I say that one of the most fun parts of the WDW planning process is choosing where to eat. Between all the resorts, parks, and Downtown Disney, you can find nearly every type of food imaginable! When the free dining promo was announced we immediately jumped on board and made dining reservations because this allowed us to eat at all the yummy restaurants without paying out of pocket and worrying about things on the menu being too expensive to eat. Otherwise the table service meals, especially the buffets, would not be doable for us. If you cannot go during one of Disney's free dining promos (which has very limited availability) then I suggest you add the Disney Dining Plan to your reservation unless there is a room offer out that provides a bigger discount. Trying to navigate what the best deal for your family can get confusing so I suggest using an authorized Disney travel agent like Mickey's Travel By LeaAnne (visit her Facebook page here ) to help you along the way.
For this update, I'm going to list our restaurants by day and what type of transportation from Pop Century was used to get there. We are not huge breakfast eaters so on our past two trips we've decided to save money and our dining credits by bringing our own granola bars, toaster pastries, etc.... for breakfast and eating them in the room. Eating a quick meal in the room also is a time saver if you are trying to get an early start in the parks!
Day 1: Arrival Day- Dinner: Boma Flavors of Africa at Animal Kingdom Lodge- Transportation: Bus transfer to Animal Kingdom Lodge via Hollywood Studios.
Typically, I am not what one would call an adventurous eater but for some reason I feel safe being more adventurous with my eating while I'm at Disney. Especially when it's buffet style and I can try little bits of different foods without committing to one large dish. On our last trip, I found my self pleasantly surprised with the African food at the Tusker House Buffet in Animal Kingdom and decided it was time to give Boma a try. While waiting for our dinner reservation time, we got the chance to explore the beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge and even spied a few giraffes, flamingos, zebras and whole bunch of other animals I have forgotten the names of. During our walk, the kids stopped to talk to one of the most friendly cast members I have ever met (Sanusha from Durbin, South Africa). She gave them information about the animals they were looking at, a little geography lesson about the location of her home country, and she was super patient with Bot and the swarm of nosy questions he had for her. We eventually stumbled upon a nice playground which of course the kids loved. Finally we made our way back inside to one of the yummiest feasts I have ever experienced. The buffet was filled with all sorts of African dishes plus a few things geared toward the all-American palate as well as the typical kid fare like macaroni and cheese. I stuck with the African foods and aside from the Watermelon Rind Salad that tasted more like ginger, I loved it all. I failed to write down the official names of the foods I ate but my favorite thing on the buffet was salad greens mixed with chicken, cilantro, and something similar to crunchy wonton noodles. I also loved the curried pasta salad as well as the roast beef with the spicy mustard on top. Then there was dessert. So many to choose from!The pineapple cheesecake and Zebra Domes were my two faves.
Day 2: Hollywood Studios- Transportation: Bus
*We tend to use one quick service and one table service each day but for Hollywood Studios, we decided to use two table services and save the other quick service for a day at the Magic Kingdom.
Lunch: Disney Jr. Play N' Dine at Hollywood and Vine
If you have small children who love Disney Jr. then this is a must. Not so much for the food because it wasn't as spectacular as the other buffets but simply because of the character interaction. I'm sure the characters will change out depending on what is popular at the moment but as of the time that I am writing this the current characters are Doc McStuffins, Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Sophia the First, and Handy Manny. Like I just mentioned, the food wasn't spectacular. It wasn't bad, just not as great as all of the other restaurants I have been to at Disney. I did enjoy the large selection of chocolate dipped fruit for dessert!
*A quick note on character meals: There was nothing really relaxing about this meal but then again none of the character meals are what I would call relaxing. I tend to spend a good deal of my time checking repeatedly as to when the next character is coming to make sure the autograph books and camera is ready.It sounds like I don't like character meals but I do because I love seeing how happy they make my own little princess. Plus this a great way to see characters without standing in lines throughout the parks. Just know beforehand what you are getting yourself into with one of these meals to make the most out of your experience.
Dinner: Sci-Fi Dine In
The name of this place doesn't exactly conjure up the thoughts of a relaxing dinner but my whole family was pleasantly surprised to find out that indeed, it can be a very relaxing atmosphere to dine in. You sit in a convertible that has been turned into three rows of seating with tables. The lighting is low and the theaming of the walls is of a dusky sky full of stars. There is a huge drive in style movie screen at the front of the restaurant where more funny than scary old sci-fi movie clips and cartoon shorts are played. The sound for the movies comes from your own personal speaker and is turned down low. Because of the configuration of the seating, you can't exactly sit and talk to your family during dinner but that's not really the point of dining here. The goofy sci-fi movie clips are meant to provide a type of dinner show while you eat. We LOVED this place. It's quiet, fun, and yes relaxing. The hamburgers are pretty fantastic too. It's worth noting that this is one of the few restaurants at Disney where you can use your drink choice from the meal plan to get a milkshake. '50s Prime Time is the other dining spot to get a milkshake at no extra charge. I love everything about Sci-Fi Dine In but one thing that particularly stuck out food wise to me was the Candy Bar for dessert.It was layers of chocolate mouse and something similar to crispy rice like you find in a Nestle Crunch. It was delicious! Hollywood Studios has always been my least favorite of the parks but I can easily be talked into going there for a burger at Sci-Fi and pot roast at '50s Prime Time.
Day 3: Magic Kingdom- Transportation: Bus
We chose to only do quick service at Magic Kingdom because we had other places we preferred to use our table service credits. I have dined at the Crystal Palace before and it's pretty good but when I'm in the Magic Kingdom, I want to do as many of the attractions as possible and not spend my time sitting in a restaurant.
Lunch: Be Our Guest
This was my second trip to Be Our Guest for lunch which I am learning that I'm still pretty lucky to have gotten to do at all. The line for this place is way out the door and as of a few days ago, it became a Fast Pass only restaurant. Meaning that if you do not have a Fast Pass to eat there (they aren't just for rides anymore!) then you will not get in. We reserved ours as soon as we could which was at the 27 day out mark. Is it worth the trouble and hype? I think so. I haven't been so lucky as to get one of the coveted dinner reservations there so I can't speak on whether or not it's worth it but I'm guessing it probably is. I have a Belle loving child and I'm a huge Beauty and the Beast fan myself so that adds even more to how much I love dining here. You are dining in Beasts castle in the ballroom complete with a snow falling outside the grand window in the back of the room! GORGEOUS! Both times I have dined here I have eaten the prime rib roast beef sandwich, minus the sauce. I love this sandwich because the meat is more medium rare than medium so if you are a well done kind of meat eater, don't order this one. The pork roast is also very good. They have a yummy cupcake selection for dessert including the Master's Cupcake which is topped with "the gray stuff". Hey, guess what? It's delicious! Don't believe me? Ask the dishes! (Disney humor...ha.).
Dinner: Ray's Cosmic Cafe
This is an old favorite of mine just because I can't think of a time that I went to Disney and didn't eat there. To me, it is part of the Magic Kingdom experience. I'm sure we all have places around the parks that make our trip "complete". I'd love to hear what yours is in the comment section! Now back to Cosmic Rays. It's typical fast food fare but sometimes that kind of food hits the spot. I love their BBQ pork sandwiches and fries. The carrot cake, sugar free mango gelato, and double chocolate cake are worth mentioning as well. Quick and easy food in an awesome location!
Day 4: Epcot - Transporation: Bus
It's so hard to decide where to eat at Epcot with all the choices they have available. It's even harder if you go during the Food and Wine Festival!
Lunch: Kringla Bakerie Og Kafe
I decided to branch out and try a place I had never even before considered. The hubs and I both ordered the Ham and Apple Sandwich which was very tasty and large. The sandwich plus the side item I chose, a side salad, was way more food than I can personally eat. This would have been a great time to split the meal with my little one and save one of our quick service credits for a future breakfast! For dessert, I chose the pastry cream puff filled with a light berry flavored whipped cream. It wasn't overly sweet but that's what I loved about it. My one complaint with this particular restaurant was that the seating area (outdoors) was very cramped and the sound of the scraping of the metal chairs on the ground was quite painful.
Dinner: La Hacienda de San Angel
This was the meal I had been waiting for! We dined here on our last trip and the Pescado a la Talla (aka grilled tilapia) was one of the best meals I had ever eaten in my entire life. I was fearful that there was no way I could repeat that experience but alas, it was just as good the second time around. The combination of the fish with roasted corn, mango chutney, cilantro, cactus leaves and whatever the secret sauce is makes for the most marvelous combination. Seriously ya'll, it's insanely good. For dessert I got the Helado de Maiz which is ice cream filled with frozen corn and topped with caramel corn. I know it sounds weird but it's actually very yummy and I'm not even a huge fan of ice cream.
Day 5: Magic Kingdom- Transportation: Car (because it was insanely early and easier to drive to the Contemporary than to wait for the bus that takes people to meal reservations)
Breakfast: Chef Mickey's
This meal was highly requested by my daughter. I have to admit, I enjoy it as well as it's a good time for a meet and greet with all the classic characters including Mickey and Minnie. It's the standard spread of American breakfast buffet items but sometimes you just need a little bacon, eggs, and a Mickey waffle. Plus a trip to the Contemporary is always a treat. This place can get super crowded but if you have a family of early birds like we do, then grab one of those earliest reservations and you'll find the buffet line much more manageable.
Lunch: Peco's Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe
Much of the food is the exact same as Cosmic Rays cafe but in a completely different setting. It's good for park fast food but the stools instead of chairs are a nightmare on the back.
Dinner: Columbia Harbour House
I'm not sure how I have never dined at Columbia Harbour House but if my memory serves me right, this was definitely a first. I kept reading on forums about it being a great quick service spot as well as a nice getaway from the heat, crowds, rain, etc.... The forums were correct! I ordered the grilled salmon with couscous and was pleasantly surprised with a large meal that I would have expected at a sit down restaurant and not at a counter service joint. We sat upstairs which was nearly empty and had a nice relaxing family meal that all four of us thoroughly enjoyed.
Day 6: Epcot- Transportation: Bus
Lunch: Sunshine Seasons
Despite the insane crowds and chaos of the food court, I really do like eating at Sunshine Seasons. They have a great selection of different foods including a nice kid's section of good homestyle meals. Saha especially likes the drumstick and macaroni. I like the mongolian beef at the Asian section and Bot just goes for the pre-packaged chocolate chip cookies which he affectionately calls "Land cookies" since the name of the building the food court is in is named The Land. The dessert selection at Sunshine Seasons is one of the best out of the quick service restaurants. They have a full bakery station with decent sized portions of cheesecakes, pies, strawberry shortcake plus several varieties of giant cookies and pastries.
Dinner: Chefs de France
We had high expectations for this meal. Maybe too high. I absolutely love the look of the restaurant but did not enjoy the crowded feel. We were so close to the families on either side of us that it felt like they were part of our dining experience and us a part of theirs. The service was painfully slow and my husband's meal of short ribs, while tasty, was lukewarm. I got the filet which was definitely the highlight of the meal and worth going for if you have plenty of time and can hit the restaurant on a day and time that the crowd level is at a minimum. Otherwise, this place isn't worth the prices they are charging.
Day 7: Animal Kingdom Transportation: Bus to the park then a bus to the Grand Floridian for dinner. After dinner we caught the monorail to Magic Kingdom to get on a bus back to Pop Century. Since Animal Kingdom does not stay open as late as the other parks, we used this day as the one to dine at a resort without feeling like we lost too much park time.
Lunch: Flametree BBQ
We kept hearing nothing but good about this place so we decided it was a must try and oh boy am I glad we tried it. I got the ribs and chicken platter which came with a side of yummy baked beans. Everything about this meal was great! I loved the outdoor seating area covered by an umbrella of trees or shelters if you prefer. This didn't bother me but if you are fearful of birds, this is not the place to go. There are birds of all sizes all over the place walking around. Despite the signs asking you to not feed the wildlife, there are those few who just couldn't resist feeding the birds which is I'm sure how they all ended up there in the first place. Personally, I love bird watching so this was a win-win for me.
Dinner: 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian Resort
This was an incredibly memorable meal! Dinner at 1900 Park Fare consists of an all you can eat buffet plus character meet and greets with Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella. I wasn't all that excited to meet the stepsisters or the stepmother but the sisters stole the show and were absolutely hysterical. Both forced Bot to get his picture made with them and Drizella tickled him and planted a giant kiss smack dab in the middle of his forehead. Prince Charming too wanted Bot in on the action and actually picked him up and planted him in the floor. The whole room erupted in giggles, Bot included. Cinderella was her usual nice and polite self and the stepmother was as creepy as I expected. I feel like the characters at this particular meal spent longer at each table chatting with the families than they do at other character meals. This one definitely didn't feel as rushed as all of the other ones I have been too. Oh, and the food is spectacular. Make sure you try the Guinness Beef Stew.
Day 8: Departure Day =(
Breakfast: Art of Animation food court
We had a couple quick service credits leftover from some times when Bot wasn't hungry enough for a full meal so we saved those for breakfast on our last day. I decided to walk the kids over to Art of Animation so we could get a quick glimpse of the resort before we headed back home. It took us forever to find the footbridge between Pop and AOA but finally we did and crossed over into the Finding Nemo section which was absolutely precious. From top to bottom, the entire area was underwater themed. Bot quickly noticed the splash pad which was something that our resort was lacking. Once we wound our way through the sea, we ended up right at the building which houses the food court. I had heard nothing but rave reviews of this particular food court but as soon as I walked in, it felt incredible chaotic and confusing too me (as most food courts do). I was determined that we would get all of our food at the same station so that I wasn't waiting in multiple lines. I figured if I got a platter of french toast with fruit and the World Flavors Breakfast Platter,which was pretty much all the basic breakfast foods with a piece of naan bread on the side, then I would be able to divide it between three of us and we'd all find something we like. Bot also wanted a muffin which I finally found in the corner away from the food lines. Once we got all of our food and checked out, we waited for a table to be wiped clean. I realized once I sat down that I never did find straws or utensils which meant I had to wander around a little more and eventually ask where to track down these items. This breakfast could not have been more chaotic! Ugh. Maybe it's different at lunch but as of right now, I'm not understanding the hype of the AOA food court.
I would like to share one very special thing that happened just as we were finishing up breakfast. A mom came over to our table with her two small children and explained to me that they like to find someone each day to share a "mini magic moment" with and that their way of doing that is by each child picking out a snack to give to another person. We were their special family they had picked! It was incredibly sweet and something we will not forget, especially after all the encounter we had with rude people throughout the week. It was that moment that made our breakfast special and took all the chaos away.
Lunch: Kringla Bakerie Og Kafe
I decided to branch out and try a place I had never even before considered. The hubs and I both ordered the Ham and Apple Sandwich which was very tasty and large. The sandwich plus the side item I chose, a side salad, was way more food than I can personally eat. This would have been a great time to split the meal with my little one and save one of our quick service credits for a future breakfast! For dessert, I chose the pastry cream puff filled with a light berry flavored whipped cream. It wasn't overly sweet but that's what I loved about it. My one complaint with this particular restaurant was that the seating area (outdoors) was very cramped and the sound of the scraping of the metal chairs on the ground was quite painful.
Dinner: La Hacienda de San Angel
This was the meal I had been waiting for! We dined here on our last trip and the Pescado a la Talla (aka grilled tilapia) was one of the best meals I had ever eaten in my entire life. I was fearful that there was no way I could repeat that experience but alas, it was just as good the second time around. The combination of the fish with roasted corn, mango chutney, cilantro, cactus leaves and whatever the secret sauce is makes for the most marvelous combination. Seriously ya'll, it's insanely good. For dessert I got the Helado de Maiz which is ice cream filled with frozen corn and topped with caramel corn. I know it sounds weird but it's actually very yummy and I'm not even a huge fan of ice cream.
Day 5: Magic Kingdom- Transportation: Car (because it was insanely early and easier to drive to the Contemporary than to wait for the bus that takes people to meal reservations)
Breakfast: Chef Mickey's
This meal was highly requested by my daughter. I have to admit, I enjoy it as well as it's a good time for a meet and greet with all the classic characters including Mickey and Minnie. It's the standard spread of American breakfast buffet items but sometimes you just need a little bacon, eggs, and a Mickey waffle. Plus a trip to the Contemporary is always a treat. This place can get super crowded but if you have a family of early birds like we do, then grab one of those earliest reservations and you'll find the buffet line much more manageable.
Lunch: Peco's Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe
Much of the food is the exact same as Cosmic Rays cafe but in a completely different setting. It's good for park fast food but the stools instead of chairs are a nightmare on the back.
Dinner: Columbia Harbour House
I'm not sure how I have never dined at Columbia Harbour House but if my memory serves me right, this was definitely a first. I kept reading on forums about it being a great quick service spot as well as a nice getaway from the heat, crowds, rain, etc.... The forums were correct! I ordered the grilled salmon with couscous and was pleasantly surprised with a large meal that I would have expected at a sit down restaurant and not at a counter service joint. We sat upstairs which was nearly empty and had a nice relaxing family meal that all four of us thoroughly enjoyed.
Day 6: Epcot- Transportation: Bus
Lunch: Sunshine Seasons
Despite the insane crowds and chaos of the food court, I really do like eating at Sunshine Seasons. They have a great selection of different foods including a nice kid's section of good homestyle meals. Saha especially likes the drumstick and macaroni. I like the mongolian beef at the Asian section and Bot just goes for the pre-packaged chocolate chip cookies which he affectionately calls "Land cookies" since the name of the building the food court is in is named The Land. The dessert selection at Sunshine Seasons is one of the best out of the quick service restaurants. They have a full bakery station with decent sized portions of cheesecakes, pies, strawberry shortcake plus several varieties of giant cookies and pastries.
Dinner: Chefs de France
We had high expectations for this meal. Maybe too high. I absolutely love the look of the restaurant but did not enjoy the crowded feel. We were so close to the families on either side of us that it felt like they were part of our dining experience and us a part of theirs. The service was painfully slow and my husband's meal of short ribs, while tasty, was lukewarm. I got the filet which was definitely the highlight of the meal and worth going for if you have plenty of time and can hit the restaurant on a day and time that the crowd level is at a minimum. Otherwise, this place isn't worth the prices they are charging.
Day 7: Animal Kingdom Transportation: Bus to the park then a bus to the Grand Floridian for dinner. After dinner we caught the monorail to Magic Kingdom to get on a bus back to Pop Century. Since Animal Kingdom does not stay open as late as the other parks, we used this day as the one to dine at a resort without feeling like we lost too much park time.
Lunch: Flametree BBQ
We kept hearing nothing but good about this place so we decided it was a must try and oh boy am I glad we tried it. I got the ribs and chicken platter which came with a side of yummy baked beans. Everything about this meal was great! I loved the outdoor seating area covered by an umbrella of trees or shelters if you prefer. This didn't bother me but if you are fearful of birds, this is not the place to go. There are birds of all sizes all over the place walking around. Despite the signs asking you to not feed the wildlife, there are those few who just couldn't resist feeding the birds which is I'm sure how they all ended up there in the first place. Personally, I love bird watching so this was a win-win for me.
Dinner: 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian Resort
This was an incredibly memorable meal! Dinner at 1900 Park Fare consists of an all you can eat buffet plus character meet and greets with Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella. I wasn't all that excited to meet the stepsisters or the stepmother but the sisters stole the show and were absolutely hysterical. Both forced Bot to get his picture made with them and Drizella tickled him and planted a giant kiss smack dab in the middle of his forehead. Prince Charming too wanted Bot in on the action and actually picked him up and planted him in the floor. The whole room erupted in giggles, Bot included. Cinderella was her usual nice and polite self and the stepmother was as creepy as I expected. I feel like the characters at this particular meal spent longer at each table chatting with the families than they do at other character meals. This one definitely didn't feel as rushed as all of the other ones I have been too. Oh, and the food is spectacular. Make sure you try the Guinness Beef Stew.
| Every child's dream. |
Day 8: Departure Day =(
Breakfast: Art of Animation food court
We had a couple quick service credits leftover from some times when Bot wasn't hungry enough for a full meal so we saved those for breakfast on our last day. I decided to walk the kids over to Art of Animation so we could get a quick glimpse of the resort before we headed back home. It took us forever to find the footbridge between Pop and AOA but finally we did and crossed over into the Finding Nemo section which was absolutely precious. From top to bottom, the entire area was underwater themed. Bot quickly noticed the splash pad which was something that our resort was lacking. Once we wound our way through the sea, we ended up right at the building which houses the food court. I had heard nothing but rave reviews of this particular food court but as soon as I walked in, it felt incredible chaotic and confusing too me (as most food courts do). I was determined that we would get all of our food at the same station so that I wasn't waiting in multiple lines. I figured if I got a platter of french toast with fruit and the World Flavors Breakfast Platter,which was pretty much all the basic breakfast foods with a piece of naan bread on the side, then I would be able to divide it between three of us and we'd all find something we like. Bot also wanted a muffin which I finally found in the corner away from the food lines. Once we got all of our food and checked out, we waited for a table to be wiped clean. I realized once I sat down that I never did find straws or utensils which meant I had to wander around a little more and eventually ask where to track down these items. This breakfast could not have been more chaotic! Ugh. Maybe it's different at lunch but as of right now, I'm not understanding the hype of the AOA food court.
I would like to share one very special thing that happened just as we were finishing up breakfast. A mom came over to our table with her two small children and explained to me that they like to find someone each day to share a "mini magic moment" with and that their way of doing that is by each child picking out a snack to give to another person. We were their special family they had picked! It was incredibly sweet and something we will not forget, especially after all the encounter we had with rude people throughout the week. It was that moment that made our breakfast special and took all the chaos away.

we wanted to eat at Be Our Guest but the line was 2 hours long! We got reservations at Akershers (probably spelling it wrong) in Epcot for all the disney princess experience :)
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your pictures but I can't imagine doing Disney with my SPD son. It sounds like a great experience though.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I miss WDW! I worked there (Y&B Resort) for a time, so I have eaten just about everywhere. The food is pretty much the most exciting part of our trips there. Cosmic Rays is also a "must stop" for me - has been since my early memories of WDW. 50's Prime Time is also a "must" for us, as is Pizzafari in AK, Columbia Harbor House in MK (quiet place to rest and big portions for a quick service), and I have to get a margarita at the stand in Mexico at Epcot. :D
ReplyDeleteWe are taking a trip next year for my son's fifth birthday - it will be our first trip to Disneyland. Well, my husband has been, but the rest of us haven't. We figured we can do more in a shorter time there than WDW. We can't wait to see Cars Land and experience all the new food options!