I do not pretend to be grammatically correct. To all of you who are grammar nazis, please accept my apologies.
Monday, December 29, 2014
The Goals of Autumn
Wow. Where in the world did the fall go? It went by fast but I can say for the first time in a few years that our autumn was relaxed. We stayed very busy but I was cautious about our schedule and careful not to overdo us.
Goal 1: Have at least a couple days where we never have to leave the house.
In the past I overbooked myself so that on some weeks I would end up having to be somewhere every single day. Signing up for mom groups, scrapbook nights, social outings, etc... seemed harmless but when I signed up for every one coming and going those nights became something I dreaded instead of something I should have looked forward too. I've since learned to say "no" and only commit myself every now and then. I've also learned that my kids do not have to be at every party and event in town.
Goal MET! I didn't sign myself up for any mom groups or extra crafting nights. I do miss some aspects of that social time but for now I'm happier hanging out at home with my kids and hubby. When I need a time out, I have some great friends who will happily join me for dinner or dessert. As for the kids, they can each be involved in one sport at a time plus Wednesday night activities at church. Saha just finished up a season of football cheer and is now cheering for basketball. Bot decided all on his own that he wanted to play Basketball on our church's Upward team. So far he is loving it! I gave Saha the choice of sticking with Girl Scouts another year and she chose to stay. I have stepped back from the leadership role and instead have offered to help the new leader's on an as needed basis. Bye-bye stress! We now have Thursday's and Friday's completely free!
Goal 2: Make homeschooling our #1 daytime priority.
It is so incredibly easy to get distracted and put off school time. "It's just one day" is what I often told myself. Those days piled up fast and before we knew it, we were falling short of our goals for the school year.
Goal sort of met. I have gotten much better about scheduling afternoon times for necessary things like doctor and dentists appointments. It's been harder to tell friends and family to wait until the afternoon but I've gotten better at that too and everyone seems to understand that we can't easily scrap our school time. That's not to say we don't take a surprise day off here and there. After all, that is one of the bonuses of homeschooling!
Goal 3: Spend less time on the computer.
This one is a real struggle for me. I love my computer. I love keeping up with friends and family on Facebook, reading blogs, playing games, browsing Pinterest, and working on my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Goal almost met! My computer time was slashed considerably once we got a school room and I forced myself to start leaving my laptop in the schoolroom. I don't want to sit in there alone at night. I still pull it out on occasional weekends and long breaks (like now) mostly with the intent of working on my TPT store. Yes I still get on Facebook and Pinterest but that's pretty much done during our school time while the kids are doing independent work. Less computer time has also meant that my blog has gone on the back burner big time. I hate that but blogging takes up a LOT of time and I have yet to figure out how to balance it. Perhaps I should schedule a time? I'd love to hear your ideas!
Goal 4: Love my house.
Our house is cramped and we are busting out the seams. I don't have a pantry and my bathroom vanity is so small that my makeup case falls off of it all the time causing my blush and eye shadows to shatter into a million tiny pieces.
Goal met! For years we have looked at newer houses. They have perfect pantries but they don't have the retro pink laminate counter tops that I have and adore. They have a lush lawn but you can't throw a football across it like you can in my current spacious backyard. None of them have the giant painted white brick wood burning fireplace that I have now which is also my favorite thing about my tiny house. For everything those new houses have, they are lacking something my current house has: character. My house is small and quirky but it's mine and I love it, flaws and all. Plus if we were to move, it would put a strain on our budget and knock out doing fun things like going to Disney World. We can't have that! I'm not saying we won't move someday, but for now we've made a choice to love our house. Now that I have adopted a positive mindset about my home, I am constantly finding things about it that I love. It truly is home sweet home.
Now that it's officially winter, I guess I should start making some new goals!
Labels:
homeschool,
our house,
parenting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show some love and leave a comment!