I do not pretend to be grammatically correct. To all of you who are grammar nazis, please accept my apologies.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Kids can be mean.

Especially little girls. Saha is barely six and has already been told numerous times by girls her age that she is annoying, her hair is mess, and she has been questioned on her outfits. By six five and six year olds (and one four year old!). I've witnessed first hand other little girls talking down to each other like it's no big deal. I've seen them make fun of each other's drawing and handwriting abilities. Truly, it shocks me! Call me crazy but I do not at all remember kids being so hard on each other when I was in my early years of elementary school. Were we? Other friends are having the same issue with their daughters so I know it's not just us. 

People blame TV and books but I'm not so sure that's the problem...unless you are not monitoring what your kids are watching and reading. In fact, if you are watching shows with your kids and the characters get sassy, it presents a great opportunity to talk to your kids about how that type of attitude is wrong. I don't see Dog With a Blog or Shake It Up as my enemy but instead as a teaching tool. 

I think we all need to take a step back and look at how we treat others in front of our own children. Are we putting others down while our children are in earshot? Are we taking those teachable moments from popular TV shows and using that as a tool or letting that moment pass us by leaving our kids to believe that those sassy behaviors are acceptable and free of consequence?


2 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you are saying. We are going through that with T also. At 4 years old. In a church preschool. (To be honest, it happened even last year some when she was 3.) Her teachers are aware and addressing it, but even they can't put the words back in the meanie's mouth, once it's said it's out there. And I am always afraid that one day I'll hear she started to retaliate the same way. Learning the mean behavior. I remember dealing with mean girls in 3d grade and beyond, but not before that. Maybe I was just lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me too, it seemed like third grade was the beginning but even then it was much more innocent than what I have witnessed.

      Delete

Show some love and leave a comment!