A new year always brings about a sense of a fresh start. New goals and for some, new resolutions. Personally, I'm more of a goal and resolution setter throughout the year whenever I see the need for a change. Why wait for a new year? There is one instance however where I can see how a fresh start at the new year can be a good thing and that's with homeschool. For those of us who start school in late summer or early fall, we have a few months behind us to reflect on what is and isn't working so far in our school year. Perhaps it's a curriculum that just doesn't click with your kids or a schedule that needs tweaking or maybe it's that your organization of your homeschool just plain stinks. Suddenly changing things, especially curriculum, can seem like a scary feat to be preforming mid-year but I promise you that being open to changes will benefit all involved.
What changes do you feel need to made in your homeschool routine? I would love to hear about it in the comment section!
As for us, I'm forever in need of improvement in consistency. I like to have a plan in mind for what I am doing overall for the year but when it comes down to the day to day planning, I always end up flying by the seat of my pants. Sounds like a train wreck, right? Strangely, it works for me. I've tried plotting out our days a week even months in advance and found that the commitment weighs to heavily on me and I need flexibility in our schedule. Even though we get our work done, I do have a problem with being consistent and would end up way heavy on the science portion and forget handwriting or spend hours on math but forget to finish our state capitals. About a month ago, I realized that I could help with my consistency problem by creating us a "rough" daily schedule. It's the same schedule every week (for ease) and I have allowed us permission to do the subjects in whatever order we feel like doing them in so long as they all get done. I made one for each child and have noticed that it's makes it easier on them to know what they have to do that day.
Now I finally have an "outline" for what to do each day which helps me think ahead at least one day and have an idea in mind for what I want to do in each subject. As for my daily planning, I tend to write it down as we go along and I do it in the least glamorous way possible. I use a plain old 17 cent Wal-Mart spiral notebook. Yep, that's it. No fancy planner or planning sheets. I've tried it all and my notebook, while not pretty, is the one thing I seem to be consistent with.
I've tried workboxes but found that some assignments were always getting missed then buried to be completed at a "later" date until finally they were no longer relevant. I decided to be uber organized at one time and created a big fat fancy notebook (see my post on that here). That was a great idea but for someone with consistency problems who craves simplicity, I couldn't keep up another year of it.
How do you organize your homeschool?
Perhaps you are a little fancier than I am and would like something more than an ugly old notebook. If so, you can download some daily goal planning sheets I created. All you have to do is click on the link below to find them in my TPT store. Oh yeah, they are FREE!

I am doing homeschool for preschool and it is not fancy by any means I totally get the consistency thing! I also use the rough schedule thing and in whatever order works. If the kids are loving what we are doing (like cotton balls on letters today) we will stick at it longer. If they are hating it (like the number puzzles today) we move on rather quickly. As for organization, mine are post it notes that I stick to other sheets in my planner. I have tried so many things and like you, this is what works for me.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes!