I do not pretend to be grammatically correct. To all of you who are grammar nazis, please accept my apologies.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Bot's First Day of Kindergarten

By Saha

We survived our first day! Saha was up at the crack of dawn ready to go. Bot, not so much. He actually ended up sleeping until almost 9:00 and I let him because I didn't want him to be cranky on his first day of Kindergarten. Typically our school day has started in the 7am hour so I have gotten spoiled by being done shortly after lunch. Today we did not finish until after 3:00. That late start made for a long day.

The first thing on our to do list was the obligatory back to school pics and yes, we used Bot's signs (see previous post). He was reluctant to participate but once he saw his sister posing, he decided to get in on the action and ham it up. After the pics, we did First Day Interviews which are always a hoot.

Saha worked on her academics while Bot did a light version of his own. She worked in her Horizon's math while he counted bristle blocks by two and picked out shapes. Saha was a huge fan of seatwork when she started Kindergarten (at 4) but even at 5.5, Bot is just not ready for it. He likes a little here and there as long as it's a topic of interest. He does like mini books and cut and paste type activities.

He loved doing the Sentence Sort Cut and Paste activity with his sister and quickly picked up on the different types of sentences and which sheet they should be glued onto. You can find the same activity in my Teachers Pay Teacher's store by clicking here.

Why yes, that is a partially eaten hamburger in the floor. 

The second part of Saha's English lesson ( BJU English 3) was sentence fragments. I had not intended to include Bot on this but he sat and listened and thought it was hilarious to yell out sentence fragments. We made quite the game of it! Maybe his enthusiasm for Saha's English lessons will continue and make my least favorite subject more enjoyable.


We are trying Science Fusion 2nd grade this year and as I suspected, Bot sat and watched the online lesson and did the hands on portion with us. First we estimated how many cups of water would fit into a large bowl and then we had to infer whether or not all of our hands were the same size. Saha's and Bot's actually were.

Aside from a few fits here and there that were mostly a result of me not having enough for Bot to do, our day was pretty good. He spends the next two days at the Autism Center so I have a little time with Saha to do some more work without interruption and to work on finding more activities for our busy little guy.


2 comments:

  1. Yay for first days. I'm glad it went well overall. 7 am starts, wow! I'm happy if we start by 9. No morning people in my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some days last year that we started before 7. Saha wakes up freakishly early!

      Delete

Show some love and leave a comment!