I do not pretend to be grammatically correct. To all of you who are grammar nazis, please accept my apologies.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Congaree National Park, SC

During our stay at Poinsett State Park, we made the drive around to Congaree National Park. I say "around" because as the crow flies, the park is not all that far from Poinsett but the actual drive on the roads to the park swings you out of the way. From a geographer's perspective the drive is chock full of rural cultural goodness. 

Once we finally arrived at the park we were greeted by several friendly rangers who were chomping at the bit to get my two kids involved in the junior ranger program. We were equally excited about the ranger program so as soon as the kids got their FREE books we were off. First we explored the Harry Hampton Visitor Center which was full of facts about the land, the people who were there in the past, and of course there was a ton of info about the area's wildlife. During our exploration of the visitor center, the kids were required to find a slew of National Park emblems. As a result, that image is seared into their head and now every time they spot one, it's met with excitement. 

It was until recent years that Congaree became one of the first National Parks in South Carolina. After our visit, I can now see why it received that honorable designation. It's the largest expanse and last remaining of the old growth bottomland hardwood forests. 

Much of the park's trails are a raised boardwalk so that you do not sink into the 8 foot deep mud. Every time I try to process the thought of how much mud that is, my mind keeps going back to the quicksand scene in The Neverending Story



 I have yet to see the Redwoods, so as of right now these were the biggest trees I have ever seen.


After a long hot and humid hike, we decided to stop at the oxbow lake overlook for a picnic lunch.


This was the view from the overlook. I could have sat there forever with the breeze blowing through my hair and nothing but the sounds of wildlife and my kid's giggles in my ears.


There are obviously some big birds flying around.



This guy kept cracking me up. He would stop and pose but not tell us to take a picture. We would turn around to look for him and there he would be posing, just waiting patiently.


Swearing in ceremony for the Junior Ranger program.


Official Junior Rangers of the Congaree National Park!


1 comment:

Show some love and leave a comment!