I do not pretend to be grammatically correct. To all of you who are grammar nazis, please accept my apologies.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Poinsett State Park, SC

The hubs and I obsess about the day we own an RV of our own. For years we have researched every aspect of RV'ing from which parks have which hookups to how to properly care for RV plumbing and dispose of sewage. We watch videos, read books, tour RV lots. It's a little over the top considering how long we've been doing this and still have yet to own one. We just want to make sure it's not going to throw a kink in our finances before we take the plunge. Until that big day comes we continue to research which includes staying in RV parks that have cabins. This brings me to our awesome swamp to mountain vacation.

I have grown up in the shadow of the mountains but I am a swamp girl at heart. It's where I am fully at ease even the midst of the mosquito swarms, snakes, gators, and the creature that freaks me out the most....frogs.

Those guys are tadpoles as far as the eye can see. I inquired with the park ranger about when they would be emerging from their watery home and he told me it would happen in a couple weeks. He also said it reminded him of a cheap horror flick where frogs take over the Earth. I have stored a mental note in my head to never ever come even remotely close to Poinsett State Park during the end of April and early May. Never.

Poinsett State Park was a little bit of two worlds combined into one. The park has large sections of hilly areas that are a bit reminiscent of some of our leisurely hikes in our nearby Smoky Mountains. In the middle of the ridges is a swamp that feeds into a lake that feeds into what reminded me of mountain streams. 

Oh how I loved the swamp walk. We saw snakes, gators, turtles, birds, bugs, lizards, bats, fish and.... *gulp*..... frogs. 

They found this cut out log and pretended like they were riding Splash Mountain.

The 1930's cabin we stayed in was rustic and cozy yet incredibly clean. It was cleaner than most nice hotels I have stayed in! I wanted to move in and never leave. There was no TV or internet connection. Bliss!




You gotta have S'mores even if the wind is blowing and you end up microwaving them (which results in S'more perfection, by the way)



Davy Crockett traded in his coonskin cap for one made of Spanish Moss.


Are you aware of Junior Ranger programs? If you like to travel to state and/or national parks and you have a school aged kiddo, definitely check it out. Check online for a park you want to visit and see what their requirements are. Some require you to purchase the book from their gift shop while others will give it to you for free. Some parks (like Poinsett State Park) have everything online for you to print at home then fill out when you arrive. Generally the program is arranged by age and will allow parental assistance for the younger kiddos. All of the programs we have done do expect you to actually fill out everything and interact with the ranger so do be prepared to work! My kids love doing these and have a nice little collection of pins and patches. 



Coming soon.....our trip to Congaree National Park, SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and leave a comment!