Excuse my absence last week but things were just a wee crazy. We had a wave of pukey sickness hit our house that required the couch to be steam cleaned, a birthday for one handsome now five year old, test taking for Saha at our umbrella school (yes, some homeschoolers have to take tests), a trip to see the traveling performance of Disney Jr. live, and a birthday party for one of Bot's best buds.
Minus the three days of test taking, Saha ended up with a two week spring break. This should have stressed me out to have her miss that much school work but she has gotten so far ahead that I'm scrambling to find stuff to fill in the rest of her 1st grade that ended up being 2nd grade year. Here we are with a couple months left of school and she's not even challenged by what little work she has left for 2nd grade. Have I mentioned that she is only supposed to be in Kindergarten? Yeah, that means she has skipped two grades with ease and could use another skip. The therapists and consultants who have worked with us on Saha's "gifted" issues warned us this would happen (I hate the word gifted by the way. It's loaded with misunderstanding and unrealistic expectations ). I do feel like her spelling and handwriting are barely at 2nd grade level so I have to factor that into whatever her assignments are which adds some difficulty into lesson planning. Asynchronicity at it's finest! I'm starting to think about planning for Bot's first homeschooling year and I'm scared. His abilities and disabilities are a whole different ballgame.
Speaking of Bot. Here are some birthday pics from last week. He originally wanted a party at Starbucks and a 5 tiered NFL cake with pictures of players drawn all over it in icing but we managed to get his mind away from that and went for something much simpler. His brain got stuck on his party being the actual day of his birthday so we had a mid-week pizza party and scored the free party room with ease.
 |
| Since I wasn't making the grand 5 tiered NFL cake, I did let him talk me into a rainbow cake. The anti food coloring side of me was convulsing the whole time I was making it. |
 |
| It is pretty cool looking. |
 |
| Oh my gosh. It actually made a rainbow! |
 |
| sibling love |
 |
| He finally got his Oyo's. He's been talking about these things for months. |
awesome cake! So, I had to school Jayce's third grade teacher on hyperlexic and splinter skills. Jayce tested at a 5th grade level for reading and a 6th grade level for math. Yet, his handwriting and spelling are atrocious.
ReplyDeleteHe's looking so much more grown up! Happy Birthday to Bot. I love the cake (but totally know what you mean about the food coloring, lol). Thanks for sharing about the asynchrony, it's one of the toughest things about giftedness (also agree with you about that word) in our home, that's for sure.
ReplyDelete